Industry Accreditation provides validation for a construction employee who has experience and skill in their trade but for one reason or another has failed to attain or apply for a recognised qualification, such as an NVQ.
Essentially, Industry Accreditation is written verification from an employer of an employee’s skills and competence. In construction, Industry Accreditation is sometimes referred to as Grandfather Rights.
Industry Accreditation Competencies:
An employer can use the following list of competencies to assess whether an employee is eligible for Industry Accreditation.
• To organise own work
• To work as an individual and as part of a team
• To use personal protective equipment (PPE) correctly
• To use hand tools or power tools relevant to the occupation
• To maintain and look after tools and equipment adequately
• To secure tools and equipment
• To orally convey or report information
• To meet deadlines
• To identify and select materials relevant to the occupation
• To handle materials/components in compliance with safety methods and procedures
• To protect the work, resources, materials and environment
• To maintain a clean and secure workplace, as and when instructed
• To follow company protocol and procedure for accident and emergency situations
• To be presentable and maintain personal cleanliness
• To follow company protocol on personal behaviour
•To follow organisational requirements and protocol in relation to current legislation and official guidance
I am Industry Accredited, which CSCS Card can I apply for?
Applicants applying for certain types of CSCS cards used to be able to utilise their Industry Accreditation or Grandfather Rights (practical experience) as evidence of their competence. However the majority of these routes for attaining a CSCS card have now closed.
At present the only generic CSCS card that can still be attained by Industry Accreditation is the Green CSCS card. You can apply for this card by employer’s recommendation (industry accreditation) but application is only open for a limited time period. To ensure that the Green CSCS card applicant is competent the employer must use the industry accreditation competencies list during assessment.
New CSCS card applicants whose occupation has been closed for Industry Accreditation and who do not possess a Construction NVQ can still apply for the Experienced Worker card or the Experienced Technician, Supervisor or Manager card. However these cards are only valid for 1 year and 3 years respectively and are non-renewable. Therefore, applicants wishing to continue working in the industry will need to register for an NVQ.
Alternatively, highly competent and experienced Managers and Supervisors who are currently working in the construction industry may be eligible to apply for the Black Manager Card or the Gold Supervisor card via the CSCS Profiled Route.
Professional Body Accreditations:
If you are Industry Accredited or you have an accreditation from a professional body you may be eligible for other construction card schemes.
There are many Professional Bodies and Chratered Institutes that provide Accreditations.
Common Accredited Professional Bodies include:
- Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Institution of Highways and Transportation (IHT)
- Institute of Roofing (IoR)
- Landscape Institute (LI)
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
Industry Accreditation and CSCS Affiliate cards:
Some of the card schemes affiliated with CSCS still accept an Industry accreditation as proof of competence. However you may not be eligible for all card levels within the affiliate scheme in your field.
In addition, you may be required to provide proof of any occupational courses that you have attended.
The Affiliate cards that still recognise the Industry Accreditation include:
- Energy and Utility Skills Register Card (EUSR)
- Certificate of Competence for Demolition Operatives Card (CCDO)
- Construction Plant Competence Scheme Card (CPCS) – Red Card Only
- Heating and Ventilation Card – The Engineering Services SKILLcard – Green Card Only
- Assuring Competence in Engineering Card (ACE) – Red Card Only
- Construction Industry Scaffolders Record Scheme (CISRS) – Labourer Card Only